An App for Preventing Distracted Teen Driving
Software for safe teen driving
This product is a state-of-the-art solution that helps parents make sure that their teen is driving safely by monitoring and preventing common aspects of dangerous and distracted driving.
The risk of motor vehicle crashes is higher among 16- to 19-year-olds than among any other age group. Dangerous and distracted driving among teens is a pervasive problem that hasn’t been addressed by software vendors.
Our client came with the idea to address irresponsible teen driving and non-compliance with Graduated Drivers License (GDL) laws that exist in all 50 states. But for the product to work fully, our client needed a mobile app. That’s how our cooperation began.
Our team needed to provide a comprehensive device and app solution that would help parents to maintain peace of mind and make sure that their teen is driving safely by monitoring and preventing common aspects of dangerous and distracted teen driving.
Our team needed to:
- Provide full business analysis, including clarifying and analyzing the client’s requirements and performing a competitor analysis to get a better understanding of the product
- Develop a fully functional mobile application for both iOS and Android
- Implement big data processing for further analysis
Tracking feature enables users to monitor the behavior of teenage drivers and receive notifications about violations
DashCam feature provides an accesses to the phone’s camera and records all that happens while the car is moving
To reach a larger target audience, we built a mobile app that runs on both iOS and Android.
This mobile app integrates with a device to monitor the behavior of teenage drivers. The physical device gathers, analyzes, and transmits data to parents via the app. The service prevents texting while driving and sends notifications to parents about violations.
When parents log in, the app lets them control the whole system. They can create an account, add vehicles, add drivers, adjust restriction settings, and set up notifications.
We did the following:
- Devised a simple user journey and intuitive UX for easy app navigation
- Built a scalable architecture using AWS, Express.js, and MongoDB to deal with high loads, quick data processing, and high app performance
- Integrated several technologies including beacons and AI elements so the app can operate via GPS to collect data on driver behavior; the detected data is then analyzed and sent to parents via a mobile app
- Created a real-time notification system to update users about violations on the road
- Provided a Breathalyzer feature via Bluetooth to prevent drunk driving
- Built a real-time tracking tool to track where a driver is at the moment
- Developed a DashCam feature that accesses the phone’s camera and records all what happens while the car is moving
- Integrated with Google Maps and Mapbox to provide users with online maps and navigation
The first year of driving is the most dangerous year of a teen’s life. But it doesn't have to be with this mobile app solution. RubyGarage helped our client develop a state-of-the-art solution to encourage safe teen driving. The product consists of a mobile application available for iOS and Android with a little bit of hardware — a phone holder and a beacon in the car.
Thanks to integration with a physical device, parents can monitor the behavior of teenage drivers in real time. The beacon collects and analyzes data and then transmit it to parents via a mobile app. The app allows parents to create accounts, add vehicles, add drivers, adjust restrictions, and receive notifications with photos or videos when a violation happens.